Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What to Wear?











What does one wear for her very first blog nomination? I've always wondered how these things work and wouldn't you know, my talented and generous friend Cristie over at The Traveling Circus went and added me (number four in a pretty darn impressive list of 7- wahoo!) to her nominee list after her awesome blog was nominated itself. First, I have to tell you about The Traveling Circus. I once virtually yelled all over Facebook that her blog was where I got my smart and sexy and I wasn't just adverstising for a friend. She simply has a way with language that makes you feel like you stepped into a cool professor's lecture hall who happened to be discussing current events...and Louboutin shoes. Yes, Cris is my personal friend who I have had the pleasure of knowing since high school but she is also a rock star mom who has three beautiful (no seriously - striking- I kid you not, look here) charges to raise. But mostly she is a working woman who does blur the lines (in the best way possible) of work, parenting, and keeping herself balanced. I admired her in the past as my quick witted roommate in college. I admire her now for her crafty words, sense of humor, and ability to keep her adult world not only together but extremely polished. She is the fine wine of this blogging universe and I can't thank her enough for nominating me, a bent up box of white zin.



To Those Who Are Nominated: Here are the "rules" of the award:


  • You must thank the person who has given you this award*

  • Copy the logo onto your blog (in post or sidebar)* Link to the person who nominated you for the award*

  • Name 7 things about yourself people may find interesting*

  • Nominate 7 other Kreativ bloggers*

  • Post links to the 7 blogs you nominated*

  • Leave a comment on each nominee's blog to let them know they have been nominated.

Here's where I get to choose 7 interesting things that will probably make you think less of me. Okay, read 'em and wince:

1. I would love the opportunity to decorate my home (and myself) in what I find in thrift stores. Musty or not, some of the things I find there are treasures from another plane altogether. The sordid and fantastic tales they could tell are reason enough to warrant a new home with me. I will always wonder about them and isn't that the best compliment about anything - to always wonder where it came from, what its story is, and how it got to be exactly right here. I think so anyway.

2. Since having my second baby, I am always on some level a little bit nauseated. It's something I don't talk about because drawing attention to it seems to be a bad idea. I ignore it like the first few sneezes of a bad cold in hopes that one day I'll wake up and find it gone forever. And to answer your question, no. And to answer your next question because I have taken enough pregnancy tests each month that the tests themselves look up at me and go, "Seriously, we're expensive. Why not just get your own sonogram wand and save yourself a few hundred trips to CVS?"

3. I have zero tolerance for narrow mindedness in the form of negative slurs. For me, if you can't put yourself in someone else's shoes then you best keep your maw shut and closed around me.

4. I have an unhealthy obsession with Bravo TV once the kids have gone to sleep. I'm still mourning the fact that Project Runway has moved to Lifetime. Can't keep the channels straight in my brain so end up missing Tim and Heidi too often.

5. I also have a thing for (Take Home Chef) Curtis Stone and (Adventurer) Bear Grylls. I would never stray from my man but oh my gawed would I have a pretty long moment of silence to think about it if Mr. OutbackSexyHair and British Wanderluster ever extended an invitation to his kitchen or dark cave, respectively.

6. I ate 12 mini candy bars in a row to "celebrate" losing 2 lbs this week. I'm still a little sick about it.

7. I use parenthesis too often in my writing because, well, I don't know really but even I think it's irritating if not a little 6th grade note to your BFF-ish.


And Here's the Really Good List of Writer Extraordinaries I Visit Just About Daily:

  1. All & Sundry is funny with a capital F. Linda has such an honest command of language that I find myself going "me too, I know!" at least every other sentence. She is unapologetically hilarious with a soft side that comes through in her pictures.
  2. PajamaMom is probably my favorite blog of all time. I found her through the Traveling Circus and am so grateful because she is my daily lifeline to wit and circumstantial hilarity. She has a self-deprecating humor that wills you to both laugh right out loud and relate right away. A must go see.
  3. Amy from Amalah.com is another funny girl blogger lady. She has the real-life mom stories to beat all other mom stories out there and then some. Amy will take you on her journey with two small children and trick you into believing you know them all personally. You will find yourself going back to reread entries just to "visit" with your new friends. Her kids are both insanely precious so that never hurts. And she uses more parenthesis in her writing than I do which I did not think possible.
  4. Adventures in Babywearing Stephanie is the author of this lovely blog. She has a strong sense of self that comes through in her short prose about her beautiful babes and family. I love her insight and warmth. Though we've never met in person, I look to her for moral support when I'm feeling anemic in the parenting department (you know, like every single day) Oh, and she has a little boy named Grayson too!
  5. FreeAnissa This is an excellent blog written by another awesome mom who wears her heart on her sleeve. She has a mean right-hook punch style with words and gets her point across with as few words as possible. I find myself choking up without much notice while reading her blog. If you visit, grab your tissues because she will suck you in to her family's story in no time too.
  6. Jessica from This is Worthwhile I just stumbled on this excellent blog recently. Jessica is a smart and earthy mom who says what she means and means what she says. I agree with her point of view quite often and love the fact that she is sharing her struggles with finding the right balance in "momming" along with all the happy that goes on in her life. She is definitely someone I'd love to meet in real life too.
  7. Cristie's Working Chick Yay, I found the loophole! This is Cristie's other blog and one I love because it gives me hope for life after being someone's mom. When I'm craving a 9-5 outside world I visit her blog and find myself inspired to work toward a goal of becoming a working parent. Some day I'll take that leap. For now, I will live vicariously through her.
So there you have it. A wonderful list of ladies I know you will love as much as I do so get cozy in your seat, press links and enjoy!!

7 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how flattered I am! Thank you so much for giving my day a huge lift. Can I put what you said in my bio LOL? : )

Steph

Cristie Ritz King, M. Ed said...

Oh you're sneaky sister. I guess I better go post something there! Also, I was going to say number# was the reason I love you so, but then I read 2-7 and they are so damn spot-on I can't pick a favorite.
Missing you like crazy. Thank god for cyber stalking. Let's you me and PJ mom meet up in August at BlogHer in NYC. K????

Tracy G said...

Brief lecture...

Seriously! The nausea could be something very easy to fix. Have you seen a doctor? You should! Daily nausea isn't normal and you need to get checked out.

Lecture...over. :-)

I can relate to the celebratory snack fest!!! Guilty as charged! :-)

pajama mom said...

ok, someday soon, we should have a mini-candybar eating contest.

at halloween, i have to hide the wrappers in the "big" garbage can in the garage so mm doesn't find all of them in the house...

thank you and i love your blog also! you and crk make me a more patient mommy. not a small task. :)

Jessica said...

Wow, thank you so much!! I will definitely pass this on :)

OSMA said...

steph, you're welcome and yes, please feel free to use for your bio b/c it's all true.

cris- when should we book our room? seriously, i'm already excited for it.

tracy- you're right...doctor appt. this week b/c of you. i've been dumb long enough, time to figure it out. probably hormones w/weaning, etc.

pjmom- i accept your challenge to the mini candy bar eating contest. how about the conference next july? (see ritz's comment above) and thank you for saying i help make you a more patient mommy. it seems you don't need much help in that category but the compliment is well appreciated!

OSMA said...

oops, jessica almost forgot to say that you're welcome so much. love visiting your site.