Friday, October 2, 2009

12 on, 12 on

On an aircraft carrier there is a method of working called 12 on, 12 off. Basically it's when you work for 12 straight hours and then you have the next 12 hours off. This phrase, for some reason, has not left my brain for the last 24 hours. Instead of 12 off, however, my mind keeps saying, "12 on, 12 on. 12 on, 12 on." Repeat.

This is what parenting is for so many of us. For me included. I'm not throwing myself a pity party because for one my house isn't spotless enough for a soiree of any sort and for two, I have more family and friends with far greater issues than being tired. It's not a major catastrophe but it does do a Jedi mind trick on me sometimes. Sometimes all this being "on" constantly wears me to a small chewed up sniveling useless nub. I feel void of charm, loveliness, and personality. I become robotic, automatic, and worst of all negative. My thoughts become "Do not" instead of "Do." My ideas become, "Can't because" instead of "Can and how." There has to be some surefire way of working through these parental lows that doesn't involve massive amounts of caffeine (check) and/or therapy (check minus).

Mostly, I am disappointed that I'm not able to rise above the monotony and be the best at this stay-at-home raising children thing all the time. For my mind, there isn't one good reason I should not succeed at this and come back for seconds. It's not like I'm pining for my old job. Once upon a time I was a teacher. I loved those kids but never felt like I truly belonged in front of a classroom. While being a teacher filled me immeasurable pride I was far less awesome at the planning, organizing, grading (you know, the teaching part) side of it. I loved my students more than I ever thought possible and this is where I found the pride because every single one of them knew it. I could tell in their faces when they saw me that they saw just how important they were to me. And they were. They still are. (I'm rambling but allowing it to see where this post ends up without me governing the direction.) I still talk with many of my former students through facebook, email, and telephone. They were a huge part of my life then and for me to see them succeed (and sometimes struggle) as adults is a feather in my post-teacher cap. If back in the classroom isn't where I want to be, then where? Then what? Then why?

It's because of the 12 on, 12 on approach I'm taking to parenting. Has to be. Worn, tired, and spent doesn't lend itself to being incredibly interesting as a parent. There are other ways of doing this. Have to be.

12 on, 12 on. Not on an aircraft carrier and not so much here either.

8 comments:

Monica said...

I absolutely get this one. I got a super crank waking up from nap today and did my best and tried really hard, but he wasn't having it and I needed a shower. He flipped and came in screaming for water and a snack so I was thinking, "Ok awesome! I make him happy and I'm supermommy again." I jump out of the shower and get him what he asked for and he's still grouchy and still screaming. I run back to the shower naked and now shivering thinking, "I can't do this. When does Zach get home?"

OSMA said...

monica, just 15 min for a private shower seems reasonable, right? :) you are supermommy, this i know, and david knows it too. they are probably preparing us for the teen years when we can do no right no matter what...

Monica said...

And I bet that you are supermom, too. Routine, cranky, screaming, and tired can all conspire to make us feel like we aren't though, right? Maybe you should hear it more often. You're a super awesome mom with kids that look healthy and happy.

pajama mom said...

we totally should have held out for bathroom breaks, coffee breaks, sick days, vacation...

wanna go on strike sometime? :)

OSMA said...

monica, right back at you, momma. thank you for having my back; i have yours too. :)

pjmom, i am decorating my picket sign as we speak. do you think googly eyes are a bit much?

pajama mom said...

i think i laughed so hard coffee came out of my nose!

googly eyes are the bomb! how could they not take us seriously with googly eye picket signs?

OSMA said...

pj mom- how about "hell no, we won't sew!"

pajama mom said...

mine says, "let me poop in peace!" in glitter.