Friday, August 28, 2009

Ready to Mingle














Okay. We've lived here for almost two months and we still don't know anyone in our neighborhood. I think it's time I do some purposeful walking and stalking. There is one family I have in mind; the mom goes to work and the dad is a stay-at-home parent like me. They have a boy Grayson's age and a young girl about Abby's age. I was hoping to bump into them on one of our daily walks but it's been too humid for anyone to be hanging out in their front yard (much less the end of their driveway where I'd likely feel brave enough to strike up a conversation.) Let's just hope this family is playing outside when we walk by in our double stroller today to invite him and his children over for a dip in our fountain pool. Yes, I'll probably be the scandal of the neighborhood but I'm ready to take on some housewife gossip in exchange for another adult with same-age children to hang with for a while. Here's hoping he doesn't already have enough friends with fountain pools and/or an exorbitant amount of time to kill during the day. On second thought, I think I'll take my nonplaydating self elsewhere and leave this poor unsuspecting neighbor alone. I actually abhor nothing more than a playdate (post on that soon to come) Playdates are for those "other" parents who don't spend the entire time saying, "Oh my God, I'm sorry my son just stabbed yours in the eardrum with a plastic sword," or "Honey? You have to stop pushing your new friend down the stairs." They are awful and I'm going to expose my already deflated parent ego to them as little as possible. Don't get me wrong, we can certainly get together for coffee while the kids romp around side by side at a park but that's where it has to end. I'm okay outdoors but indoors is the third base of playdating and I'm just not that kind of girl.

No comments: