Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Kitchen Karma

Yesterday was just one of those days when my patience dried up like an earthworm in the sun before my feet ever hit the deck. There wasn't one thing about the morning that didn't irritate me:

Baby cried to get out of the high chair. Annoying.
G asked for the kind of toast we didn't have. Ugh!.
Sadie stalked her cookie bin. Grrrr!
The tissue box had sand dollars on it. Ahhhh, the injustice of it all!

To cement the notion that I could not deal, after breakfast I tried to catch and clip little darting fingernails. Twenty of them. Believe me, don't try that one if you're feeling the least bit provoked. One more fingernail and I'm pretty sure there would've been flames shooting out of each stretch mark and injured pore on my body. I was spitting bullets before 8:30 a.m. and this was just a typical morning.

Definitely has to be hormones. Hormones are usually to blame for most of my issues (the others are from the mountains of insecurities brought on by being human and female) This one is probably due to dropping night time nursing. For some reason, when my body undergoes any shift in hormones whatsoever it acts like someone poured tar all over the nice-nice part of my personality. All that's left is impatience and her half-sister Moody.

Because my husband can relate (he has had his own trials and tribulations causing some weird physical side effects ) he wasn't harassing me to "chill out" like he totally could have been (and surely would've been dealt were the shoe on the other foot.) He simply grit his teeth and picked up where I left off. I locked myself in our bedroom (aka: ran away from home) for 5 minutes, showered, dressed and we ended up having a really lovely afternoon.

I think there are times when admitting you need a break is the hardest part. As a stay-at-home parent, there's some kind of innate shame in not being able to be on duty every second of every day. I expect myself to be able to function like a mommy robot and be amazing when amazing starts like a hangnail on a splinter first thing in the morning. Well, yesterday I did better to realize there is a time to turn the wheel over and take a back seat to parenting. Oh how I hate to admit that I can't do it all because on a good day, I CAN do it all and I do. I am proud of that. Anyone in my situation can probably relate. On those other days, however, when the mood is all wrong and there's someone else to pick up your slack, let go. It's all right to let go of the controls for a bit and ohm out. I did and even G had a good time watching.


Here I can be seen rocking out to Grayson's balloon musak
P.S. Those are his Bob the Builder safety glasses; I'm not trying a new look
:













And here we are reconnecting with our chi or some beatnik thing like that:

2 comments:

Cristie Ritz King, M. Ed said...

I think keep those glasses handy for next time. They look therapeutic.

OSMA said...

i think you're right on, c. they do more than look terrible and man do they look terrible!