Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Day That Unfolded Itself

You know how sometimes you just have to leave the house by 9am or else your insides feel like rotten peaches still wearing their pajamas? Today was not one of those days. Today I let the day unfold itself. The children steered. I sat in the back seat with my hands over my mouth and my foot off the imaginary brake. And you know what happened? We are having a most lovely time of it! It's already 3:30 and I have more energy left in me than I've had in four years.














The day started softly as we ate a leisurely breakfast where everyone ate (including poor Sadie who is not at all fooled by the stirring in of extra chicken to mask the medicinal flavor of Panacur). We played upstairs in the office while listening to Metallica on youtube (a surprisingly fun way to begin a day). After a stress free getting-toddler-and-baby-dressed session (never happened before in my life) we set out for a walk around the neighborhood, followed by a nice tandem swing at the park. Tandem as in Grayson allowed me to cram his tall limbs in one of the baby swings so I could push them both without running between them like a tennis ball but way fatter. Then, without tantrum or even partial argument we strolled home, had lunch where hallelujah everyone ate again (2 sandwiches for G even!) and we played some more.

Grayson found a costume which kept him busy for an hour.



















Not because he was healing or giving shots but because he was taunting his little sister with the end of the stethoscope and then ripping it from her grasp at the last possible second. You'd think, "mean!" but she loved it. She laughs, Grayson repeats. It's their thing. Who am I to stand in their way of some demented game of cat and mouse? I'm diggin the back seat, you guys. Maybe it is better to let go of the proverbial reigns more often and just see what happens. I bet you ten dollars I wake up tomorrow, forget how unrushed and unmanic this afternoon has been and decide we must absolutely must take everyone to the dentist on a Friday. For the first time ever. Poor, poor mommy brains just can't let go entirely, can they?

5 comments:

Tracy G said...

These are definitely the best days!!!! Although, in my experience they only happen once in a lifetime when all the stars & planets are cosmically aligned!!! LOL!!! Just kidding! But, you're inspiring! I know what's going to happen, each day before the day begins. That's just my nature...I LOVE to have a game plan! :-) But, you're setting a great example and I'm gonna try it, but not this weekend...we have TOO much to do! LOL! See what I mean...

xoxo

I'm so glad you had a wonderful day! (I've been thinking of you bunches!)

OSMA said...

T-Oh it's so nice to have my number one fan back on the commenting board. Thank you for leaving your thoughts and alluding to the idea that mine might entertain you. :) I hope you have a fantastic weekend, planned or notsoplanned, whatever floats your fancy.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

pajama mom said...

hurray! these are just the kind of days that inspired my blog name.

most excellent adventures!

OSMA said...

pajama mom, i think you have one the best blog names out there. awesome inspiration too; every time i see it i'm reminded that it's okay to stay in your big t-shirt and boxer shorts sometimes!

The Palmer Family said...

Love those days!