Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Yin, The Yang














Parenthood:


Chocolate chip pancakes
Sweet baby "ahhh-gees!"
Tide sticking the toddler
Are those dead bug wings?

Up before the sun.
Down before Flipping Out.
Morning latte at 8
2pm: Scream & Shout

Crackers, cheese, blueberries,
oatmeal, grapes, gummy things,
yogurt, milk and sometimes "Please"
and then the same for dinner.

Post office, Target, Dry Cleaners,
McDonald's drive-thru - They know us.

Playdates, tantrums, "Don't say hate,"
"Shoes go there," "Pick up your plate,"
And that hair?" Comb or Nair?
Don't even get me started.

Sunroom toys then backyard,
Kitchen Arts, a homemade card?
sidewalk chalk, banana slide,
park and walk or scooter ride?
We are busy. We run amok.
We stay right here, G says, "Fu...."

"Faster Mommy"
I swing him low and then wild
He grins then falls, I love this child.

Eyes that shine
Up at you
Hands that clutch
Your shoulder too.
Little voices, funny faces,
Happy in the wheelbarrow races.

Then I feel those itty hands
At my pantleg, She demands
to stand and stand and stand some more
Gravity yanks her to the floor, that floor,
that floor all crumbs and stuff and nonstop yuck
"Didn't I just clean this up?"
And yes you did but it comes back
To make sure you're right on track.
Squat here, lean there
You're at the "gym" where
We sing the hot body
Requiem.

It's all for them, not all for naught.
It's where I fly, not where I rot.

Parenthood is yin and yang.
It's big, it's small
It's boom and bang.

I'm not pretending it's not hard
To be here daily, OhMyGawd!
But truly there's no other place.
I'd rather be than in this race.

3 comments:

pajama mom said...

nonstop yuck.
indeed.
so worth it.

i love this post.

Cristie Ritz King, M. Ed said...

Yippee!! love. love. love it.

OSMA said...

merci ladies! the blog love is mutual, just so ya know.