Friday, September 11, 2009

Automatic

On our way to a friend's house yesterday, we stopped at Shopper's Food Warehouse to pick up some cookies and seafood salad. Admittedly a sorry combination. The cookies were for her kids but the seafood salad was probably because I skipped breakfast. The trip into the store went surprisingly well as Abby had just been rudely interrupted from her nap to find herself parked in front of the produce section. It's how I'd like to wake up from a nap but I guess not so much fun for a nine month old who can't eat the skins off of anything yet.

So, after spending about 2 minutes in search of red cookies (Grayson's asserting his opinions through baked goods this week) I saw a pee-pee dance happening and I asked if he had to use the bathroom.

"For what?"

To go to the bathroom, I replied.

"For what?"

I could see where this was going so I made the decision for him and off we went in the direction of the red and white restroom sign. Once inside G got with the program and started to undo his shorts. Just then he stopped and looked up at me to say, "Mommy? I'm going to be shy from this potty." And I thought to myself how much like his Uncle Eric he is. Uncle Eric can't use public restrooms either. Performance anxiety? Unfamiliar surroundings? Scratchy cheap industrial TP? Who knows but I gave a pat on his shoulder and encouraged him to go.

Because I'm so accustom to using the facilities myself (been pregnant ad nauseaum for years it seems) I didn't think that what happened next would scar my child for the rest of his life.

The toilet flushed on its own, automatically.



















This little boy jumped back 6 feet while naked and shivering. He looked up at me with these big brown saucer eyes and sniffled, "What happen?"

It flushed, sweetie, on its own because you were done.

"How did it know?"

Hmmm, I don't know. Good question. Something I've actually wondered about myself from time to time. The sensors wouldn't have picked up on him as he was standing to the side so it's a mystery.

Poor kid, I should've known that would scare the pirate out of him. Maybe that will cure him from ever loitering in the restrooms in his high school during lunch to avoid the social scene that will be complicated, overwhelming, and a lot confusing. Maybe he won't ask to go to the bathroom during theatre class and not come out until the bell rings. Or do this for several weeks and get his feelings hurt not because he wasn't brave enough to do the monologue but because his teacher never noticed he went missing. Maybe she won't... I mean he. Nevermind.

Side note: When we arrived at the register, the cashier lady says, "Oh, you have two boys?" I'm typically not overly sensitive about this because before they grow hair or have their ears pierced girls really can look like boys and vice versa. This lady surprised me though, because Abby was all pinked out and couldn't have looked girlier with her pink bow and fuchsia patterned frillyshirt. Here, you decide. She does look exactly like her father so I forgive.

4 comments:

pajama mom said...

we had the same trauma! now we drape a square or two of tp over the sensor to "trick" it. the kids think they are being very sneaky.

p.s. you just can't go wrong with cookies and seafood salad.

Tracy G said...

2 BOYS!?!?!?!?!? Was that woman serious!?!? "Abbaganouch" (my favorite name so far) looks absolutely cute as a button and SO girlie! Was that biatch color blink!?!?

OSMA said...

pjmom, i'm so glad we "met" through this blogging world b/c that is an awesome idea. i now remember a mom telling me to carry sticky notes for this very same reason. smart cookies (with seafood salad) you mommies are!

t- thank you for getting defensive on behalf of the ganoushian. she was none the wiser and this woman did say she wasn't wearing her glasses. and here i thought fuchsia was on the bold spectrum. evidently it doesn't cut through the haze enough.

pajama mom said...

sticky notes! genius!