Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Project RunAway

Because things were going swimmingly, I thought I'd take up sewing. Until I bought a few patterns and then realized sewing is the equivalent of calculus. I should add I never made it to calculus. Almost didn't graduate high school (with a D plus) in Algebra II/Trig as I recall. And I thought I could leave all the exponents, quadratic equation and square root frightmares behind. Until I shot myself in the cranium, borrowed my mom's sewing machine, and bought patterns for sweet girly baby clothes.

First of all, who knew it took 200 trapezoidal pieces of sheer tracing paper to make a one piece for a baby? One piece is a misnomer. They should be called, A Healthy Village of Cross Stitches & Elastic Galore Pieces. (and that's without ruffles.) Also, who would've guessed those 200 little pieces of transparent tissues would have three dozen demands printed in every direction, on every latitude, with no semblance of where the equator might be? There is no legend, no compass rose, no GPS. I don't think these patters have kept up with the times very well. They wreak of your grandmother's attic and not in a charming treasure chest of polka dotted aprons sort of way.

So I'm going to the consignment store today to find a cute one piece to dissect. It will be my sacrificial lamb to the Singer Gods and we'll go from there. Think I stand a better chance knocking off an actual already sewn together tangible object than those ethereal wispy maps that mock the part of me that gets a little confused finding the bathroom at night.

Will post updates from time to time. And if you see a picture of a window with a hole in it the size of foot pedal, you'll know why.

8 comments:

pajama mom said...

very exciting! mine is gummed up from trying to sew a straight line through a sequined cape for a princess long, long ago.

apparently sequins f-up machines.

maybe you will inspire me try, try again. :)

Tracy G said...

I adore/resemble this post!!!!!!!!! Do you remember when I bought TONS (enough to fill an 18 gallon Rubbermaid container...) of material & patterns when we lived @ P-ville???? I sold ALL of it at a yard sale after realizing it was rocket science reading a pattern! I've actually been thinking about taking a class or something, so I can put my sewing machine to good use! :-) Good luck and let me know how it goes!

OSMA said...

pj mom, got it: no sequins for princess cape :) and not sure i'll be any inspiration. one headband made and it fits nobody. doesn't bode well.

t- i do remember all that stuff you bought and i was so impressed you knew how to do all of that. little did either of us know you needed an engineering degree to make anything using patterns. :) i'll post some pitiful attempts of clothing soon.

Tracy G said...

E- You've inspired me to give patterns another go round. When I have some extra cash (yeah, right) I'm driving 40 minutes to the nearest Jo-ann Fabrics and taking a class! That's the only way it's gonna happen!
And, I think you had a good point...I need to start "small", so I'm going to start with something for Lex and see how it goes.
Will let you know. :-) Thanks for the inspiration!!!!!
xoxo
~me

OSMA said...

please keep me posted b/c they offer classes at a michael's here and i've been giving that some thought. having a hard time committing to that and NOT the gym but ya know...

Tracy G said...

The gym WON'T miraculously produce results and save you money...taking a sewing class will! :-)

The Palmer Family said...

I love the idea of sewing. But all that measuring and cutting sure takes the fun out of it. Here is a cute free pattern I used for a skirt for Emma.

http://www.oliverands.com/downloads/Oliver+SLazyDaysSkirt.pdf

It's really easy. I think you could make it smaller for Abby. I might even try to make it bigger for me and make a cute skirt for myself. Let me know if you take a class, I'll join you. We'll motivate each other. I think they have sewing classes at JoAnn's too.

-K

OSMA said...

Kathleen, thank you for adding that link to the pattern. I'm gonna go check that out and maybe try it this weekend!