Friday, December 9, 2011

Heap Two



Life is chunky.

It comes in large heaps of time that shape who we are and where we are going.

I feel as though lately I'm entering Heap Two.

Heap One was Youth.

Heap Two is Post Youth.  It's the stage where you begin to differentiate from what you want to what you want your legacy to be.  You are no longer existing on the top of the hourglass.

For me it was once all about figuring out who I am and now it is only about how I want to spend my time and what to impart to my children.   

Every day I choose outside my comfort zone with the intent to show my children a little more of a big beautiful sometimes overwhelming world.

Because in life it is experience that breeds confidence.  And confidence without fail gives you choices.

Sometimes our choices are limited.  (I live in the D.C. area.  All choices exist between the hours of 10am and 3pm or else you are defaulted to brake lights and NPR on the car stereo.)  But within those limits, we are busy choosing as well as possible for Heap Two.

Heap Two doesn't try to keep up with the Joneses.  Heap Two also doesn't give one poo about squaring up relationships that don't work.  Heap Two is liberating this once devout People Pleaser to someone who puts her minivan in the way of an impatient BMW jacka**  and the elderly driver who needs more time to make her three point turn.  It's talking less and listening more.  Heap Two is growing out bangs and opting for color instead of neutrals.  Heap Two has priorities, bottom lines, and self worth.

So Cheers to you if  you're heaping too.  Heap One to Two, Two to Three or even Three to Four.  None of it is without pitfalls but we all have the choices within our own city limits.  And when you do find yourself in a place you're not happy with?

Heap again.

Maybe this will be the chunk of time that finds you looking at your world through different eyes.


No comments: