Thursday, July 1, 2010

Arrival














I can remember envying my grandparents on a daily basis for being retired. They didn't have to work. They could sit around if they wanted to. They could watch The Right Stuff on their VCRs at nauseum if they so chose. They could even take a drive to Hot Shoppes at the local mall for some cold meatloaf if the mood struck. What I didn't realize is that they probably envied me. Me who had more life in front of me than behind. Me who could run miles and miles just to burn off the excess energy and time they had long since lost. Me who thought moving through a day with nowhere in particular to be and nothing in particular to do was a good thing.

Now I am here on the top of my mountain, at the pinnacle of it all.

I have energy (less than when I was 18 but still summonable).
I have time (again, less than before but hopefully still lots in front).
I have pressing things to do and important people for whom I must tend.
I have arrived and it's hard to believe the trip to get here was so fast. But it is. It is fast and it is furious but mostly it is brilliant, bright, and filled with happy movement of busy days. The busiest days I'll ever see.

So yes, while I may have "arrived" and reached the top of my mountain I will set my sights on the next smaller ones to climb.




And climb they will.

No comments: