Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The List


My husband is a list man. If it's in his brain, it's on a list somewhere. It's actually impressive how his mind must categorize naturally for him to create these ordered reminders. For years I have poked fun at these things in all shapes and perforations found all over the house and on his person. I've made fun mostly because they are always there; they are his constant. He sometimes chews tobacco, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes runs six miles every day of the week, sometimes doesn't. However, my husband will forever make lists...it's how his brain shifts and moves forward. Throughout the years we've been privy to skinny pieces of Labrador decorated paper for groceries and household items, unlined white papered wish lists of hunting gear, Word documents bulleting his (our) five, 10, 20 year plan.

In light of our imminent move to Virginia, Andy's organizational gene is in full glory. His pen is in overdrive and lists abound!! Just this morning I unveiled the most recent stash of lists (yes, even his list had a baby one underneath it!). It is entitled, "Don't Move" : fridge, washer/dryer, garage freezer, garage ladder, garage lawn spreader, gun cabinet." Then, underneath those words is the offspring of that list entitled the, "Move Ourselves" This is really why I love my husband and where all his sweetness lives. I will let you read for yourself. Sorry but no shortcuts, you have to peruse the entire thing for the full effect. Okay, as it is written:

Move Ourselves List

-Andy's Mtn. bike
-Pac N Play
-Double Stroller & Snap N Go
-Gas & Propane & Hazmat
-Lawnmower/weedwacker
-Andy's tools
-Frozen/Cold Food
-Files & Lockbox

-Clothes
-Toiletries/towels
-Bedding/pillows
-Rubber Ducky
-Diaper/wipes/powder
-Jewelry
-Deer Mount

Did you see it? Did you read the sweetness? Inside that noggin filled to the rim with copious amounts of military knowledge, aircraft acronyms, and fine tuned MajorSpeak is a smooshy gooshy soul that actually wrote down, "Rubby Ducky," in his very masculine hard-to-decipher-at-times handwriting. This is why I love this man. He can fool the rest of the world into thinking he's hardcore and badass but I will always be here, reading his lists and knowing what's really important to him also happens to be the things that are really important to his children. And yes, I did read the Deer Mount part but of this we do not speak.

6 comments:

Julie Ritz said...

Also, being a list person (although not quite as extensive as he is), I can totaly relate. The Rubber Ducky was cute but also got a kick out of "Andys tools" - like you all would be moving someone elses tools:) Good luck with the move.

OSMA said...

That made me laugh too, after you mentioned it, Julie. He must be worried we may box up and take along MY circular saw on accident. whew, would've been confusing. :)

Tracy G said...

My first thought..."There are people who don't make lists???". That, I can hardly imagine! My lists usually look like this...

Packing list;
underwear
socks
bras
clothes (shirts, shorts, jeans)
jammies
toothbrush

The most basic of things, but trust me...if I don't write it down and check it off, it WILL & HAS been forgotten. Case in point...Memorial day weekend...I forgot Alexa's pajamas and it was the straw that broke the camels back. A full blown sobbing melt down, including rocking, holding, hugging & apologizing...and I can't leave out...her telling her "real" mom I forgot her pj's! THIS is why I make lists!

So, kudos to Andy...I feel his organizational pain! LOL! And for the record...he wasn't fooling me anyway! I've seen him crumble in Grayson's grip! He's a great Dad!

Love to you guys during this BUSY time!

Tracy xoxo

Chronicles of Momnia said...

i adore my to-do lists...in fact, if i do something and it's not on the list, i ADD it just so i can CROSS it off the list.

good luck with the move and getting accustomed to the land of many glebes.

OSMA said...

Ladies, I'm impressed by all of your organizational skills. I'm starting to think I'm missing out on something here...

Andy Tracy- I admire you for being the recipient of a tantrum that was probably more due to a very tired and/or hungry Alexa than you forgetting the pjs.
xoxo
Chronicles of Momnia- "Land of Many Glebes" I love that. Had to think for a second but then I remembered, Glebe Road, etc.

The Palmer Family said...

There's nothing like a good to-do list. And crossing things off one by one. I'm sure Andy will feel very satisfied when rubber ducky is present and accounted for and he can cross him off that list!