Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Dear Eric














Dear Eric,

Yesterday you and Christie heard words that I still cannot really comprehend. Your doctors said the words: thyroid, surgery, treatment and cancer all in the same sentence as your name. This should not happen. This should not happen to you. This should not happen twice to Christie. I am so angry with whoever effed this up in heaven that I'm definitely going to hell for cursing God out in my living room yesterday. Yes, I did. I told God to take a flying leap and that's putting it nicely. I still can't really wrap my brain around any of this bullshit and I'm sure you and your wife are just as stunned and dazed as I am today. Shock is an interesting boyfriend and got me through most of the evening until 3a.m. when all the questions, anger, hurt, worry, and frustration came tumbling down in my brain all at once. I couldn't get back to sleep because my rational mind could not stop repeating the words, "Eric has cancer. What?"

Mom is being amazing right now. She is so happy that you have the "good cancer" because she has the ability to see down the road. I can't yet. I can't see past you having to go through any more poking and prodding with needles, NEEDLES, the thing in the world that skeeves you out the most. I'm having a really hard time trying to even picture this evil stuff inside your body, inside my brother who has been so strong, so capable, and so healthy all his life. I don't have to tell you how helpless I feel because I know you heard that in my voice last night on the phone. Oh, and please don't not call me because I promise I won't be a complete girl about this and cry every time I hear your voice. I'm just so freaking mad and confused right now, Day One and Day Two. This. does. not. make. sense.

I know you are going to be all right. I also intellectually get that if you have to have cancer then Mom's right, this really is the best kind to have. What I don't understand is how this could happen to you and your family right now. Your little Landon just turned one. Your wife just lost her sister to brain cancer. You just hit the prime of your life and now you've got this horrendous piece of shit slice of life to deal with. I'm so sorry, Eric. I'm so very sorry you and your family have to go through this right now. I know you said you'd rather be the one going through it because the worrying about someone else would be worse. I don't think it's worse but it is about the most helpless feeling I've ever had. Empty. I feel like a floating head with arms and legs held together with strings. No torso. My middle is like a big pit or cold canyon that feels like a constant swirl of sinking. If I pay attention to it, it makes me want to throw up. I'm not going to be paying attention to it because we both know how much I like to throw up. I guess that's the only way of describing what being on this side of things feels like in case you were wondering. See? You're missing all the fun on this side so let's trade. Let's trade for a while and I can take the week "off of work" and read People magazine while the radioactive dye spits its venom out onto the bad cells. I want to do this for you so you can go play with Landon, ride your motorcycle with Christie, or talk to Mark on the phone. I'll turn it back over to you when I've slept for a week straight (ah, see? I SO could do this part!) and am well rested and strong. You can take it from there; you can take over on all the follow up visits and re-checkings. Deal?! You wouldn't take me up on that for a second but please know I would do it for you.

You have this thing beat already so don't worry about that. Between your family and friends there and your family and friends scattered about, we'll all work together to figure out the best ways to help out when you, Christie, and Landon need it. I see how strong Christie is, I've watched her hold herself together under the most dire of situations and not crumble when crumbling is the only option left. And I know how strong you are. I grew up relying on how strong you are and rode those coattails for as long as I possibly could before jumping out of the Pentenville nest. Your road may be bumpy now, Eric, but it is going to be okay. We will see to it that your road ends up right where you left off and you'll look back at this time as a small detour in your otherwise beautiful life. You may have cancer now, my brother, but it cannot have you.

I love you. That's all.

Love,
Sissy

7 comments:

Tracy G said...

BIG lump in my through...
I will be thinking about all of you very frequently!!! Just remember...Eric ALWAYS lands on his feet!
xoxoxo

OSMA said...

I know you will be and thank you!!! And you're right, Eric does always land on his feet just like Tuxeee :)
love you.

Julie Ritz said...

Erin, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I now how much it sucks - yes I hate that word but it is so appropriate in this case. Your brother and his family and you & your family are in my thoughts.

OSMA said...

Julie,

You're right, there's no other way to describe it. I appreciate your sentiments so much especially considering the loss(es) you and your family have gone through over the course of years. Thank you for writing.

Love,
Erin

The Palmer Family said...

Hey Erin, I just read the bad news. I had no idea. I'm so very sorry. I'm all teary eyed for you and your family. Eric, his family and yours will be in my prayers. I know Eric has always been your "constant". I always loved to see how close you guys are, not just as brother & sister, but as friends too. He's a strong guy and with your love and support he'll be even stronger.

All my love and prayers.
Kathleen

OSMA said...

Kathleen,

Thank you for your comments and sentiments. Eric is a strong guy and he has more support than he'll even want so we just have to get him through the surgery and treatment so he can be on his way, away from this mess. I'm sorry to not have called to tell you this first.

xoxoxo

Cristie Ritz King, M. Ed said...

Oh.my.god. My sister just told me about this post. How did I miss it? More importantaly-how did I miss this news? I should have known. And I should have done something for you.
I have no doubt Eric and you will come out of this on teh other side stronger and better for it. But in the meantime I am so sorry you even have to spend a minute with it in your life. Both you and ERic deserve better.
I have always been told you are only given as much as you can handle. And we all know you and Eric can take on the world. Sounds like Christie fits right in. Sometimes it sucks to be the one who can handle much and I am sorry for that.
I love you and I hurt for you both.
C