Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Old School














Not that I couldn't spend countless hours on Facebook, Twitter, and lost in rapture of the Blogosphere but there is one thing I learned about myself after a week of being away from it all. I am happier without it. I am less stressed without the constant temptation to see what all my friends and family are writing or thinking or making for dinner. I am less frustrated with my own responsibilities as wife and mom without the ever present beckoning pull of staying connected to everyone else in the "real world."

Being without connectivity for a week helped me truly unwind myself from the spool of technology and feel like myself again. I wasn't short with my kids. I wasn't impatient with my dog (I know, what?!). I wasn't grouchy toward my husband. One might even say I became a downright flirty girl with him again but that was probably the Riesling talking (right, sure). One week by a beautiful lake, kayaking alone, and playing in the rain was what it took to have me fall back into place. We all seemed to just fall back into place. We all fit together again.

The urge to keep myself contemporary or up-to-date is a strong one. It has been so strong that during the long weeks of single parenting (handsome hubby's travel has doubled lately so Sadie - and okay I'll confess Grayson too- keep my feet warm at night) I have burdened myself with the task of staying current in all avenues of social media. Even at the expense of a lost nap, neglected hobbies, or forgoing a block of time spent simply naval gazing. And for what? Am I really staying competitive enough with the big online savvyests who make money staying connected? I am not. Am I going to disappoint anyone if I don't post something every single day? You guys all are testimonials that life remained just as wonderful and flowery without my diatribing here. It's all for fun and fun for all. My new motto. So no more making myself crazy with updating on Twitter or Facebook. I will be a voyeur and contribute when the mood strikes. What about here on the blog? Just like my multiple cups of watered down coffee, I cannot quit you. I will allow myself this one daily vice. This blog happens to be a safe haven for me to chat with you guys and that in and of itself is enough connection for me. Those of you who read and comment are in my mind on a daily basis. You are my people, my circle of friends. Those of you who read and don't comment are there too, just donning invisible cloaks and dark glasses because you're tres mysterious and I dig you too.

So here is my declaration of the week: I am going back to the basics, going Old School. In an effort to balance the daily I will still post here on One-Sided Momma but will let the rest fall by the wayside without an ounce of guilt. It is a great way to network for people who can maintain their own richness of living but mine was definitely suffering and beginning to taste skim and sugar free. My network may be small but you guys are all the red capped whole milk and crystalline carbohydrates I need.

5 comments:

pajama mom said...

sign me up as well. :)

Cristie Ritz King, M. Ed said...

Phew. I'm glad you aren't giving this up. I would miss you. I'm with you on the rest though. I'm a fool for the twitter but only because I can do it from my phone when I'm running around. I decided (also on our family vacation-funny huh?) to unplug more too. (Not entirely, I might die;)

Crystal D said...

I'm on board too. Since BlogHer I have cut out twitter drastically and cleaned out 50% of the blogs I never got around to reading in my feed reader.
I have found I have a lot more time in the evening to read books now that I am not spending so much time reading about things I am truly not interested in.
Plus, I know I need to change my habits before my girls are old enough to develop them. I don't want them to spend their entire teen years tweeting and texting, so I need to be able to set an example. Ahhh, do as I say not as I do. ;-)

OSMA said...

hello my favorite trilogy going :)

isn't it strange that we're all hitting this end result at (roughly) the same time? wonder what's in the air. probably the sands of time. whatever it is still can't make me foresake the screen full time but i'm sure getting close. i just know i'd miss you three too much if i removed the bloggin from my daily diet - just can't keep up with all the rest of it.

The Palmer Family said...

Hey, been meaning to call you. We're back from the beach and gearing up for back to school next week. Hope to see you soon. Then we can kick-it old school style!

Love,
Me

PS - I have some long sleeve shirts for G if you haven't done back to school shopping yet. Would have given you pants too except every pair that L wore had holes in them by the end!