Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What a Day

So the hour is near when I must depart the place I call home.

And the hour has passed when my brother, Eric, got out of his surgery where the doctors spent a couple of hours removing his entire thyroid (plus some lymph nodes as I understand it).

Both pieces of this puzzle have been weighing heavily on my mind and I am sitting in my dear friend and neighbor's basement typing away because the only thing I have to separate my crowded thoughts is this blog. Thank you for being here, blog. And readers of this blog. I seriously want to meet you all. All four of us would have a great time at a that little cafe inside of a Barnes & Noble.

Here's a brief synopsis of today:

IN PENNSYLVANIA
  • woke up in Marni and Vinny's basement (our stuff was in boxes in our house next door)
  • Grayson was already watching Blue's Clues b/c my husband is that talented in his sleep and can work a remote with his eyes closed
  • Abby-Snail woke up with a bang and we were off showering, filling up sippy cups, and bickering at each other because nobody really wants to leave this place, this neighborhood, this huge and totally unforgettably blessed time in our life


IN MARYLAND (or at least how I imagined things to be in MD)

  • Eric showed up at the hospital and tried to make peace with separating with part of his body
  • Christie (his wife) tried to make peace with spending yet another day in yet another hospital
  • Eric felt dippy from awesome drugs and probably got to 8 when they had him count backwards
  • Surgeons did their surgical thing and got that cancererous hunk of a yuck thyroid out of his body forever
  • Eric woke up, breathed on his own and subsequently helped every single last person who loves him breathe on their own again too
Holy shit, I hope I never have another day like this again. Word.

3 comments:

The Palmer Family said...

Hey E, thanks for sharing. So glad Eric's surgery is behind him. One step forward with plenty more to go, but at least that's out of the way.

Good luck with the move. When will you be here in Virgina? Can't wait to knock on your door! Or tap lightly in case anyone is napping!

Love,
K

PS I took the kids to my Dad's today and drove though all our old stomping grounds.

OSMA said...

Thanks Kathleen! We're here now!! :) Tap whenever you'd like. I'm going to visit Eric either Sat. or Sunday but gimme a call whenever you wanna stop by, we'll be sure to be here.

Can't wait to see you, been way too long!
xoxox

cristie said...

I'm not sure what makes me more teary-Eric's strength of the fact that you and KKMcK are together again. Equally awesome. Wish I was there with you both!