Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Field Trip
























On Saturday we went on our first local field trip. We decided on the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum in VA. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. For a woman who is in fast forward these days, even I slowed down enough to read the signs, learn some history, and finally get to see a MIG close up and personal. These aircraft are UHmaZING and the fact that we have real people who are smart enough to design, fly, and keep track of parts (a little love for the Major there) is astonishing to me. It's an entire hangar of achievements, breakthroughs, and a torpedo launcher or six. Grayson was a little boy body with an owl head, swiveling complete circles to see, "that big one!" or "that HUGE one!" A little boy's heaven and a big boy's playground.

While we were there, we noticed the lines for riding the simulators were short. Grayson and Daddy manned right up and they climbed in that blue R2D2 together to chase down bad guys. Here's the after shot. Grayson was a touch green but Daddy held him close during and after so he didn't have to fend off the enemy alone.













We were only able to stay a short while as Grayson's bladder outmatched his trousers but we can't wait to go back so Abby and I can ride the simulator. And not the little blue one either. We want to ride the red one that rocked and spun around so violently she will think she's back in utero and so will I! (Of course I'm only joking about Abby coming with me. She's holding out her hopes to ride in the zero gravity simulator.)
This little beauty here was called a Flying Wing. Of course I liked it because it reminded me of the Jetsons and I thought it was pretty. Daddy took the picture anyway.

2 comments:

The Palmer Family said...

We love the Air in Space Museum in VA. It's only 10 minutes from our house. A little tip is that if you go after 4pm it's free parking. They close at 5:30, but we usually only last an hour or so anyway. I love going there in the winter after school, it's a fun outing and the kids never get tired of going.

OSMA said...

KKMcPalmer- Thanks for the tip, that is quite the secret gauge and I'm happy to know it. We should all get together there soon. Would be a great way to get the kiddos together without having to referee.