Friday, July 10, 2009

Tie Dye Scarves for Curtains













Phew, it's done. We've moved. And it only took:
  • one giant tractor trailer
  • three very sturdy and superhuman moving men
  • multiple update-about-Eric phone calls to my funny, hospital-cafeteria-savvy mom and dad
  • two extremely able-bodied and overtly vivacious in-laws
  • one gentle and generous sister-in-law
  • one caffeinated and adrenalized husband to get us here. (I was no help at all. Because I was an emotionally Divided Nation on Tuesday through Thursday, I was all but exempt from my typical duties as wife, mother, and mover/shaker. Thank you all for letting me bow out of so much grunt work. I promise to lift heavy children for the next 12 years to make up for my recent slackage.)

Okay, so I wasn't a complete sloth and I did contribute to the effort leading up to our move. The day of, however, just ran around me like a boa constrictor. In the end we caravan-ed and arrived in a whole different state. With not much awareness (scary) on my part, I did manage to: drive two children, a dog, and lots of crap that wouldn't fit into the gigantic moving truck four hours to our new destination. I did: keep driving after 7 month old decided to fill up the airwaves with her bone-chilling Adam Lambert wails for 67 minutes straight. I did: remember to buy a pink leash and black & white collar for Sadie since her others were packed. I did: eat lots of peppermint patties and Skittles (what baby weight?) to keep me renewed and happy.

So, we arrived late late late on Tuesday night. We got the keys to the new place from the landlord's
"contact" person in the middle of the night, in the pitch-black driveway. I'm sure the neighbors were so excited to have the Shriver Cartel shuffle into town.

We then proceeded to (ill-preparedly) camp out in the new house. Did I mention we were without furniture, blankets/beds/pillows/mattress like things whatsoever? And there we find ourselves, all four grown adults (Andy, me, Nammy, & Pop), in a predicament. Well after midnight, we're stumbling around a strange house to find that perfect spot of carpet to snuggle up to. I'm talking nothing but baby blankets and bath towels. To make things that much sweeter, none of us knew how to work the new house's thermostat and for some reason it was preset at "POLAR BEARS NEED LESS AIR CONDITIONING THAN THIS." I was a skoshe cold so ended up, at some point in the early morning frost, grabbing my sleeping baby from her warm nest of attic insulation and coffee filters (kidding) and made her snuggle with me since the twelve inches of baby blanket fabric weren't cutting the chill of those early stages of frostbite. That was fun. I was glad to learn how to reset the thermostat the following morning. One button. One finger. Nevermind that we could have just turned the heat on instead of the air.

********************************
24 HOURS LATER:

My husband and I just got back from Shopper's and we both concur that it doesn't feel like we've moved. It just feels like we're on vacation. You know how you run to the store to stock up on goodies for the week while you're away? Letting yourself go ahead and get those smoked almonds, red wine, fun cheese, and extra case of G2 because you're on VACATION! Our shwooped bodies have no idea we are not going to "go home" but are in fact, already at home, in a new territory that we must learn before 495 eats us as its prey.

Oh but in case you're wondering.... yes, we do like the new house in Virginia very much. It's quite comfy and lotsa cozy already. Be certain I will name it, write about it, and photograph it until it gives me the finger and threatens me with a chihuahua and a restraining order. But I'm too spent to do that tonight. I'm guessing by Sunday I'll be over my veneer wall of sarcasm (never happen) and into an unhealthy lust to get acquainted with this new land of abbreviated merging lanes and old school volvos. Looking forward.



5 comments:

Pecor said...

Congrats. I wish I coulda been there to help you move! Hope I get to see you guys soon. :)

Monica said...

Now there are two more things on my list of bad stuff to deny myself. Pepermint patties and skittle are sounding sooooo good right now. I'm glad things went well and that you didn't have to move too terribly far with your munchkins in tow. I hope to be able to hear from you as things settle down. It would totally make my day to do a playdate some time. Even a weekday will work after this daycare thing is over! You aren't very far now. Much luck with unpacking and making your new house your home.

palmer_sean@yahoo.com said...

Welcome to Virginia! I just got back from NYC with Emma. I took her to American Girl Place. We had an amazing time.

Let me know if your up for a visit next week. Emma & Luke have a morning camp next week, so Megan and I could stop by for a little visit if you guys are up for it. I think I have your cell number so I'll give you a call.

Good luck settling in!

The Palmer Family said...

Opps, I was on Sean's laptop, The above comment is me from not Sean, but I'm sure you figured that out.

Kathleen

Cristie Ritz King, M. Ed said...

How did I miss this one?! First, skittles-what is it with them? I eat them like they are an oxygen supply ever since we decided to move and I literally hadn't had them since they FIRST CAME OUT!!
Second, I think I've gained 20 pounds since we moved because I am still acting like I'm on vacation. I'm all "yes, I must have helluva good french onion dip and chips in my house at all times." I grocery shop like I'm at the beach! Wait until you have visitors!
Third, where the heck was your furniture the first night?
Finally, isn't it amazing how you have that big "effin truck and STILL you have to pack cars and possibly leave things at your in-laws house indefinitely.
sick really.
Congrats on surviving. It is no easy feat!