Friday, September 19, 2008

Advice Please


"I'm hungry and all my pants are too big."
I just realized you could put pics in the actual blog post. Rookie mistake I hope. I'll have to do that to save on the scrolling avenue of photos on our right...


Does anyone have any advice on a toddler who just isn't into eating? My son is either sneaking downstairs and making himself peanut butter sandwiches at night or he can quite literally survive off of pancakes (2 very little ones at that) at 7am, a few Goldfish crackers throughout the day, and about 15 oz. of apple juice/water/milk. He outright refuses much lunch, if any and almost never eats dinner. Granted, I really do suck as a cook but I've been keeping things super simple to try to appease a persnickity palate. I guess my next step is to cut back on the fluids to see if he's filling himself up that way but that just feels mean if he's not starving himself?


What say you, readers? Seriously, I'm asking even if you think it sounds obvious and even if you don't have children of your own. Anything goes.


Thanks in advance!


3 comments:

Tracy G said...

Hey E~

I'd advise adding some spice to his life. If he doesn't seem fond of the plain food, spice it up. Try adding some butter & spices to veggies...the kids in my house aren't the greatest eaters, but they love buttered pasta sprinkled (okay, loaded) with parmesan cheese.
And I wouldn't suggest cutting fluids, maybe try switching it up to something with more nutritional value. My cousin makes her kids smoothies with yogurt, vitamins and fish oil (I'd never eat it!) and they love them. Kids think they're getting a treat, mom knows they're getting much needed nutrients!!
That's all I've got. :-)
Tracy

The Palmer Family said...

Hi Erin,

Tracy has some great ideas.

This is something silly, but my kids love new plates, forks & spoons. I'll go to the $1 section from Target and get new utensils and they'll magically want to eat more.

Megan has been under weight for as long as I can remember. She's just hit 22 lbs, although she eats a lot. My pediatrician did recommend cutting back on the milk to make sure she's eating enough. So I give her more water to make sure her belly isn't full from milk. But she still drinks at least 12 oz of milk a day.

I think a lot of it is phases. Sometimes my kids don't eat much and other times they eat a ton. I'm sure at some point you'll have a hard time keeping up with him. I think they know how much they need. As my brother always says, they won't starve themselves.

But I know as a mom, you always want to make sure your kid is getting enough.

Good luck! Now I'm in the mood for a smoothy.

Kathleen

OSMA said...

Thank you, thank you my friends! These are all great suggestions and ALL I will try willingly and happily. I'm in the mood for a smoothie now too! :) Love you both and thanks again. Me