Friday, February 4, 2011

Facebook Philosophies

One of the many reasons I love Facebook is that you get to learn more about the people you never knew that well in high school. Since we've established I spent more time hiding from social circles than being in them, it will come as no surprise to you that I knew few people really well. Facebook is beginning to change that.

I love to read what my friends are saying to each other. It's the voyeur in me but probably why everyone loves this networking site so much too; it's the fun part. Also, there are a few friends I have really grown to admire and look up to even though I didn't know them well 20 years ago (seriously, how has it been two decades ago?!). And even now, I almost never comment on their wall or get in contact with them at all. There's a fine line between high school esteem and real world self image. They have both matured yet both have developed a few wrinkles and bad habits of their own. Regardless, I wanted to share something with you that has really resonated with me lately. It's a quote taken from a FB friend. She is not only gorgeous on the outside but she is all lady on the inside too. She often posts inspiring famous quotes as her status updates. These alone are fun to read but the best part is that one of our mutual FB friends always responds with a similar famous quote. He is witty, scary smart, and sometimes a little salty but almost always responds in kind. Here is one of their recent famous quote exchanges.
Her: "Times of advancement are preceded by times of disorder. Success comes to those who can weather the storm."
Him: "We must free ourselves of the hope that the seas will ever rest - we must learn to sail in high winds."



And here's another one just to show off their public tete-a-tete relationship:

Her: "The question isn't whether you are or afraid or not, it's what you do with that fear."

Him: "Yeah, though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil, for I am the meanest son of a bitch in the valley." - Joel Rosenberg
stolen, ahem... borrowed, from a web site - sorry, was too good not to share... :-)

I love and look forward to these philosophical chats and will expound further on the first one when I can devote more thought. Right now I'm only half here because Abby is dining on crackers and pear slices alone in the kitchen; patiently awaiting parental supervision. With that, I hope later this afternoon- post preschool pick-up and nap drop-off I can revisit this post and explain why I love the first couple of quotes so much. At least, let's hope there's a nap drop-off. There should be if what Grayson told me first this morning is true (click on toolbar tab above on He Said/She Said if you're curious.) Till then, Happy Friday you guys!

2 comments:

JRitz said...

My father had a poster with that last quote on it and to this day every time I hear it I think of him. It is a great quote:)

OSMA said...

That is awesome to hear your dad had that quote posted. Now I get you and CRK even more - and that's a good thing :)