Thursday, August 28, 2008

Embrace Change?

Because I'm obsessed with expounding on the mundane I thought I'd write them down here for future perusement or perhaps maybe others would like to chime in? Please feel free...

Chapter 1
Pre-Preschool Woes:
I may as well be in pre-preschool along w/my little boy. Sometimes it's scary to see how the mature, sophisticated, intelligent woman I believed I was before giving birth has been whittled down to nubbins, leaving me an exposed bundle of unlevel-headed raw Momma Bear nerve endings. Mom's probably right, it must have been the nursing...

Here's the scoop:
So for most of us change is the undeniable backbone of our lives. For me, however, it's the Dark Knight threatening to teeter my totter and make sense fall down. How can I expect my little 22 month old to embrace the never-ending cycle of rhymes and reasons when his own mother is jostled to the core by his new class schedule. What do you mean he's going to have a new teacher? He (read: I) just bonded with Miss Lovely Face and now he (again read: we) is expected to simply run into the arms of another? There has to be some kind of weaning process for this, no? "Okay," the Director of preschool humors me, "we can drag our feet on this one and take baby steps." Somehow I truly feel this comment was meant more for me than my well-adjusted toddler. What happened to me over the last two years? When did I become the adult who needed to take "baby steps?" Mom's right, it must have been the co-sleeping. :)

4 comments:

Tracy G said...

Oh silly momma!!! You (but mostly you) & Grayson will get through it! But, speaking from experience, you are not alone. I used to talk with plenty of parents who were concerned with changes in the classroom. I do however think it's odd that you weren't notified on a teacher change prior to it happening (not sure if that's the case). It may seem like cold turkey to you, but preschools typically make these changes gradually. Hang in there!
And by the way, love the blog idea!!! My cousin has a blog too, she calls me one of her "blog stalkers". Yeah, that's me...and chances are I'll be stalking you here too!!! It's a great way to keep tabs on friends/family who you don't see/talk to very frequently. Surely none of us have enough time to make ten calls a night to give a recap of our day!!!! So I love it!!! Keep it up!!!

Ricky and Lucy on the Road said...

Momma Bear...the little professor is more than prepared for venturing into the academic world...you've done such a marvelous job with his pre-preschool curriculum! What other semi-two year old can instantly identify every aunt, uncle, cousin and even multiple sets of grandparents by site and name!!! He's amazing...I suggest that word has gotten around the teacher's lounge and they are now fighting to get time with him in their own classes!!

I love your blog...it's got style and cheek...keep it going...

The Palmer Family said...

Hi Erin! I just stumbled upon your blog tonight, and so glad I did. You're bookmarked and I'll be checking your blog frequently.

I know how you feel about change. Emma had her first day of kindergarten yesterday. She rode the bus and everything. And while I'm thrilled everything went perfectly, I'm strangely surprised she can survive without me. And Luke starts preschool tomorrow. What happened to my babies I had in the hospital. They are now real kids. Even Megan is 1 going on 5. She's so independent. I guess I should embrace their growth and advancement, but I miss the cute little babies who would sit there and smile at me in their bouncer chairs.

I loved all the pictures you emailed from your vacation. Grayson is a stud muffin. He's such a beautiful mix of you and Andy. Can't wait to see what #2 looks like. I'm sure she'll be a pretty little lady like her momma.

OSMA said...

Hello there Tracy, Kathleen, and Dad! Thank you so much for commenting on this blog. It is more fun for me to check on the comments than it is to write on the blog now! :) I will try to keep up w/this every other day or so although so far it's been more like once a week. As soon as I get better at manipulating the layout, I'll add slideshow pics of my own! It's great to hear back from all of you so feel free to write any time. I send my love to each of you and hope to connect soon!

XOXO,
Erin