Sunday, November 2, 2008

If Found...

I suppose it was bound to happen. Just last night Grayson misplaced his beloved "Bear." Though Bear is cuddly and cute, let's be clear that he is no ordinary folk. Bear is Grayson's rock, his compadre, his brother in arms. That being said, it's probably not hard to imagine our small-scale panic when we realized, come bedtime last night, that we could not find him anywhere! I was barely able to escape with the response, "Ummm, Bear is going to stay up late tonight to...ummm...to make Grayson Jello," after being asked about him for the 10th time in a row. Somehow, a sleepy toddler drifted off with warm thoughts of Bear holding a spatula over a hot pan of gelatinous goop. Since then, we've been searching every place imaginable (and unimaginable for that matter-seriously, did I really expect to SEE him in the freezer?) for him to no avail. In the meantime, I'm scouring ebay for his body double. Shhh, it's our little secret.

Grayson bonding with "Bear"- 4 months old (both of them)












About Bear:
Small, brown, soft as heaven with a slight grimace - Bear has been a stoic companion for Grayson for a solid and steady 25 months. He has been cried upon, force fed apple juice, squeezed relentlessly, dragged along to various sojourns, upchucked all over, shoved into washers, dryers, and probably an ill-fated destination (read: the trashcan) most recently by his own keeper's hands. Bear is not only great company, he is also a very good listener. For the past two years, Grayson wakes up, grabs Bear from beside him and talks through important issues such as Mommy whereabouts, the state of things in the crib (wet, dry, ungodly smelly), or whether or not it is a day to wear long "seeves" or short. Friends like that don't come along very often and this won't be an easy loss for the team whatsoever if Mom can't produce some serious doppleganger results and soon. I'm off to the Brookstone store online to see what I can find. In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions as to where else a two year old might hide his favorite friend? I will keep you posted. This should get interesting....








2 comments:

Tracy G said...

Good luck finding Bear...
These are the things that should really be in parenting books!!!! As I entered the kids lives after this stage, I have NO advice on how to handle this or where to look. I guess the only thing I would say is, does he bring bear to school and have you put out an a.p.b. there??? Maybe make posters...post in neighborhood, just to show G man that your doing all you can to find him...really though, I have absolutely no idea...as a matter of fact, that sounds tramatic...you probably shouldn't take my advice on this one.
If I end up having little ones someday, this is the kind of thing I'll be calling for advice on...so be ready!!!!
I guess all I can do is pray for Bears safe return!!!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
xoxo
me :-)

OSMA said...

I told Andy about the apb out for Bear and this brought a smile to his face. And you know what? You're in luck b/c these things actually ARE in parenting books but I never took the time to purchase a body double for his favorite buddy. They do recommend doing this once one is chosen to avoid these "traumatic" experiences, believe it or not...I was just not listening. Not after this event, we're definitely buying ourselves back-up for the next time Bear doesn't wind up somewhere funny. :\